On April 28th, 2011, the Carleton Place Masonic Temple was 100 years old. The original masonic temple in Carleton Place burned to the ground in 1870, in a devastating fire which swept across the Ottawa Valley. From the city of Ottawa’s website: “From August 16 to 19, 1870, a fire engulfed Carleton County. Walls of flame advanced for days, beginning in Arnprior and wreaking havoc as far north as Le Breton Street and parts of the Saguenay Valley. Ottawa faced certain destruction, until a group of men cut through the St. Louis Dam at Dow’s Lake and released a rush of water into the lowlands surrounding the city. The water barrier kept the flames at bay.”The cornerstone of the current building was laid on April 28th, 1911.
Friend to Friend Night
St. John’s Lodge No. 63 commemorated the 100th anniversary of the Carleton Place Masonic Temple by holding a friend to friend night on April 20th. The event was well attended by people interested in Freemasonry, as well as by town dignitaries, including the mayor and several councillors.